Our finished film opening sequence.


Our finished film opening sequence.

Thursday 22 June 2017

Evaluation Question 4: How do you think your prelim experiences will impact on your approach to next term's music video coursework? WIP

The Cast after a hard day of Shooting

The Prelim was a really great project, and I have learnt loads of tips and tricks to take on into next terms music video project.


Pre-Production:

In terms of pre-production I learnt quite a lot, despite not being very involved in the pre-production process. For instance:
  • I've learnt quite a lot when it comes to organizing and planning a costume in preparation for a shoot. Always remember the key tenants of planning costumes Beg, Borrow, Steal.
  • Also I've learnt the importance of getting a call list, as it allows you to plan out the day easier, as timing is a very important party of the shooting, so you need to know your shoot schedule well.
  • The importance of rehearsals is something I've learnt from pre-production, as I wouldn't have known how to convey feelings in front of a camera without the assistance of Jazzi and the classes that she took with us.

Production:

I was quite involved in production from the shoot and this taught me quite a few things:
  • The proper use of the equipment:
    • We were given a course at the beginning of the shoot day on how to control the lighting in the studio.This will come in extremely useful when filming in the studio for our own music video.
    • We were also shown how the cyclorama works, and how to successfully take it down at the end of a shoot.
    • We were also introduced to other equipment we hadn't used before, that would be useful during the shoot, such as the silk, and the flags, which came in very useful when blocking and softening light to get the correct intensity of light.
  • How to treat the actors. By being an actor myself in this project I now have a better understanding of what it's like to be acting in a music video shoot, and how best to treat the actors when they are on camera. This has also allowed me to find out how best to convey ideas to the actors, and them be able to do what I intend.

Post-Production:

Post-production was the part of the prelim that I was most involved in, as I edited the video by myself. This was quite difficult as it took a lot of time,and it was hard to get a second opinion on shots without disturbing other people. Even though I was already confident in my editing abilities, I do think that I have learnt quite a lot from editing this project:
  • Grading. In our film opening project Noa did most of the grading, however since I was working on my own in this project I had to learn fast. I feel that now I have a much better appreciation of how hard it is to grade a video. I've learnt how to use Procamp and Three-way-color-corrector to get the desired effects, for instance Procamp should be what you mainly use, whilst Three-way-color-corrector should only be used afterwards to tweak the color of some shots.
  • The software. In this project I feel like I know Adobe Premier Pro really well, and I now know how to do things I hadn't done in any projects before, such as adding a blur effect, or adding lens-flares to a shot.


Overall I think this project has taught me a lot of useful skills that I can take into filming my music video next term, and I feel much more prepared for the project to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment